I LOVE a good lentil soup. I’ve been playing around with ingredients and spices and organized this recipe to share with you. With just a few simple ingredients that are probably in your pantry already, this hearty soup will leave your taste buds wanting more. I love to use fresh tomatoes when available and throw them in the food processor. Feel free to adjust ingredients to your liking.
Please let me know how this lentil soup turns out for you in the comments. I’m always so eager to hear from you! 👣💜
Nourishing Lentil Soup
- 1 Onion Medium, yellow or white, chopped
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 4 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried Thyme or oregano
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes or fresh, if available
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh Kale or collards
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon juice approx. 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup Lentils
- Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is warm, add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Stir about 30 seconds, then pour in the diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often,to release flavors
- Pour in the lentils, broth and the water. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape. Be careful not to overcook!
- Add the chopped greens and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the greens have softened to your liking. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice until the flavors really sing. For spicier soup, add another pinch or two Cayenne pepper.
- Serve while hot.